Tenant's Guide

As the area’s leading lettings agent, you can be sure that CWB Property will be able to find the ideal home for you and to try and make the whole process as easy as possible, we’ve created this guide to the most common questions asked.

Where do I start?

The first step is to search online for properties that fit your criteria and arrange some viewings. Use the Property Search function on our website to view current availability.

What happens once I’ve seen a property that I like?

Register your interest either online or by calling the office. We will then arrange a viewing for you. Once you have found the perfect property, we will begin the referencing process. At this point you will be required to pay a referencing fee.

Please note that under certain circumstances referencing fees may not be refundable and acceptance of the tenancy is entirely at the Landlord’s discretion. Please do not apply for the property if you are aware of anything that may have an adverse impact on your ability to rent the property. For more information please ask for our guide to letting fees.

What references are required, and what will I need to provide?

References are always required and are obtained through the Vouch referencing agency. It should be appreciated that no tenancy will be granted until satisfactory references have been received and approved.

Each person relating to the tenancy will be required to complete referencing.


All applicants, including guarantors (where applicable), will be required to provide a current Passport or Birth Certificate in combination with a National Insurance Number and photographic identification (which can include a valid Driving License or National Identity Card). Non-EU applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Biometric Residence Permit or current Visa, together with their Passport containing a UK immigration stamp. Further referencing requirements are as follows;

Employed applicants

Self employed applicants

1 and 3 above plus a minimum of 3 years’ filed accounts. If the applicant has been self-employed for less than 3 years, they may require a guarantor and authenticated self-assessment tax calculation forms from HMRC (these are known as SA302 or SA100 forms). Alternatively, a letter from your accountant confirming drawings and start date of the business may prove acceptable

Housing allowance recipients

1 and 3 above (pay slips will be required if a tenant works part-time) AND a guarantor. You will also need evidence from housing benefit confirming that your claim is progressing or has been accepted


1, 2 and 3 above (if applicable) above AND a guarantor


1 and 2 above

Monies Payable on or before commencement of tenancy


A security deposit is required which is the equivalent of five weeks’ rent. The deposit is returnable at the end of the tenancy providing that the property is left in a clean and proper order and there are no damages. An additional pet rent may be payable should the tenant obtain permission from the Landlord to have a pet live in the property. This is to cover cleaning and deodorizing of floor coverings/soft furnishings at the end of the tenancy. The deposit will be registered with the DPS (Deposit Protection Scheme).

Will my money be safe and secure?

You can be assured that any money paid to CWB Property is safe and secure. As licensed members of TPO (The Property Ombudsman), all monies are protected and bonded.

Also, your deposit will be registered with The Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) and you will receive a certificate on the commencement of your tenancy to confirm this.

How can I protect my contents and deposit?

If you’re renting, it’s easy to think that you don’t have many belongings to insure, but the cost of replacing them could be more than you think.

You probably know how much a new TV, laptop, games console or digital camera might cost, however have you thought how much your clothes, shoes, bed linen and kitchen equipment are worth? Or the food in your freezer? The last thing that you need after an accident, burglary, fire or flood is a mounting bill just for the things you take for granted.

Also, your Landlord’s insurance won’t cover you if you accidentally damage their property. From a spilt glass of wine to an iron mark on the carpet, accidents happen to the best of us. For peace of mind it’s always better to be insured.

When can I move in?

When you first enquire about or view a property, you will be advised of the date when the property will become available.

As soon as you pay your referencing fee, the property will be marked as LET (STC) and any further viewings cancelled. We will pass your information to TenRef immediately and the referencing process will begin. This can take as little as 2-3 days or longer, depending on how quickly your referees respond to the requests sent by TenRef.

What information is given the day that I take possession of the property?

When the day arrives for you to take possession of your property we should already have agreed a convenient time for you to visit our office to collect the keys and complete all the necessary paperwork.

This appointment will last for approximately 20 minutes and you will be given a Tenant’s Welcome Pack which will help to guide you through your tenancy. Also included will be the relevant safety certificates (if applicable), a guide to avoiding damp, a copy of the AST, your Tenancy Deposit Certificate and a copy of the inventory. You then have 5 days to read and edit the inspection should you feel you have discovered something we have missed.

Before we can release the keys, all parties aged 18 and over will need to have signed the tenancy agreement and all outstanding monies must be paid in full. We recommend payment by bank transfer. For security reasons we discourage cash payments.

How long am I committed for?

It will depend on the length of your tenancy agreement. The most common fixed period is for 6 months, after which the tenancy would usually run on a month-by-month basis.

In this instance you would be obligated for the first 6 months and should you wish to vacate the property, you would need to give one month’s notice in writing, ending no sooner than the initial 6 months. If the Landlord requires possession of the property, they would have to provide you with 2 months’ notice, again not expiring sooner than the initial 6 months.

Should you decide to stay beyond the initial 6 months, this is perfectly acceptable without the requirement to sign another contract. This is known as a ‘Statutory Periodic Tenancy’ and runs on a month-by-month basis on the same terms and conditions.

Who do I speak to once I have moved in, if I have a problem or question?

Most of the properties that we advertise are managed by CWB Property and therefore you would call us should you have any maintenance or management queries. Our telephone lines are open 24 hours a day and our offices are open from 08:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday and 09:00 to 17:00 on Saturdays. However, should your new home be managed by the Landlord, CWB Property will provide you with the contact details of your Landlord, along with their bank details.

Are there any administration fees payable during my tenancy?

As a market leading agency CWB Property adheres to the Tenant fee Ban which came into force in 2019 and therefore will not charge you any administration fees during your tenancy with the exception of very few situations. Contact us for a full list of these exceptions.

Can you give me a breakdown of what it is going to cost me to move in?

Should you be interested in moving into one of our homes, we will send you an email with a complete breakdown of exactly how much it is going to cost you to move in. An example of this is shown below:

Rent £1000
Holding deposit (1weeks rent) £250
Rent (paid on the day you move in) £750
Deposit (paid on the day you move in) £1250
Total to pay £2250