Tenants's Lettings Guide

As the area’s leading lettings agent, you can be sure that CWB Property will be able to find the ideal home for you. To try and make the whole process as easy as possible, we’ve created this guide to the most common questions asked.

Where do I start?

The first step is to search online for properties that fit your criteria and arrange some viewings. Use the Property Search function on our website to view current availability.

What happens once I’ve seen a property that I like?

Register your interest either online or by calling the office and we will arrange a viewing for you. Once you have found the perfect property we will send you an application form to complete. This should be completed, signed and returned either in person or by email to our property manager, along with a holding deposit the equivalent of 1 weeks rent.

Please note that acceptance of the tenancy is entirely at the Landlord’s discretion. Please do not apply for the property if you have not made CWB Property aware of anything that may have an adverse impact on your ability to rent the property as failure to do so may result in the loss of your holding deposit.

Can I move my pet in with me?

If a property we are advertising accepts pets this will be noted in the property advert and will Incur an additional “pet rent” of £25 per pet per month.

What references are required, and what will I need to provide?

References are always required and are obtained through the Vouch referencing agency. It should be appreciated that no tenancy will be granted until satisfactory references have been received and approved.

Each person relating to the tenancy will be required to complete referencing.

Additionally (and depending on your personal circumstances) the following may also be required:


All applicants, including guarantors (where applicable), will be required to provide a current Passport or Birth Certificate in combination with a National Insurance Number and photographic identification (which can include a valid Driving License or National Identity Card). Non-EU applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Biometric Residence Permit or current Visa, together with their Passport containing a UK immigration stamp. Further referencing requirements are as follows;


  • 1. Proof of residency, to include one of the following: utility bill (not older than 3 months prior to the commencement date of the tenancy); landline telephone bill (i.e. not mobile); most recent council tax bill
  • 2. Your most recent 3 month’s wage slips or a letter on headed paper from your employer confirming your address, start date and current salary. Please note that this letter must be signed and dated by the Payroll Department or the Financial Director and contain the printed name of the signatory. We cannot accept emails
  • 3. A previous Landlord’s reference, if applicable (TenRef will obtain this on your behalf)

Self employed

1 and 3 above plus a minimum of 3 years’ filed accounts. If the applicant has been self-employed for less than 3 years, they may require a guarantor and authenticated self-assessment tax calculation forms from HMRC (these are known as SA302 or SA100 forms). Alternatively, a letter from your accountant confirming drawings and start date of the business may prove acceptable

Housing allowance recipients

1 and 3 above (pay slips will be required if a tenant works part-time) AND a guarantor. You will also need evidence from housing benefit confirming that your claim is progressing or has been accepted


1, 2 and 3 above (if applicable) above AND a guarantor


1 and 2 above

Monies Payable on or before commencement of tenancy

Deposit and check out fee

A security deposit is required which is the equivalent of five weeks’ rent. The deposit is returnable at the end of the tenancy providing that the property is left in a clean and proper order and there are no damages. The deposit will be registered with the DPS (Deposit Protection Scheme).

Will my money be safe and secure?

You can be assured that any money paid to CWB Property is safe and secure. As licensed members of TPO (The Property Ombudsman), all monies are protected and bonded.

Also, your deposit will be registered with The Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) and you will receive a certificate on the commencement of your tenancy to confirm this.

How can I protect my contents and deposit?

If you’re renting, it’s easy to think that you don’t have many belongings to insure, but the cost of replacing them could be more than you think.

You probably know how much a new TV, laptop, games console or digital camera might cost, however have you thought how much your clothes, shoes, bed linen and kitchen equipment are worth? Or the food in your freezer? The last thing that you need after an accident, burglary, fire or flood is a mounting bill just for the things you take for granted.

Also, your Landlord’s insurance won’t cover you if you accidentally damage their property. From a spilt glass of wine to an iron mark on the carpet, accidents happen to the best of us. For peace of mind it’s always better to be insured.

When can I move in?

When you first enquire about or view a property, you will be advised of the date when the property will become available.

As soon as you transfer your holding deposit, the property will be marked as LET (STC) and any further viewings cancelled. We will pass your information to Vouch immediately and the referencing process will begin. This can take as little as 2-3 days or longer, depending on how quickly your referees respond to the requests sent by Vouch.

What information is given the day that I take possession of the property?

When the day arrives for you to take possession of your property we should already have agreed a convenient time for you to visit our office to collect the keys and complete all the necessary paperwork.

This appointment will last for approximately 20 minutes and you will be given a Tenant’s Welcome Pack which will help to guide you through your tenancy and will include the relevant safety certificates (if applicable), a guide to avoiding damp, a copy of the AST and your Tenancy Deposit Certificate, the EPC and a Gas Safe certificate.

Before moving into the property you will also be provided with a detailed inventory describing the condition of the property and its contents. You will have the opportunity to check the inventory, make any relevant amendments, and return it to us within 5 working days.

Before we can release the keys, all parties aged 18 and over will need to have signed the tenancy agreement and all outstanding monies must be paid in full. We recommend payment by bank transfer. For security reasons we discourage cash payments.

How long am I committed for?

It will depend on the length of your tenancy agreement. The most common fixed period is for 6 or 12 months, after which the tenancy would run on a month-by-month basis.

In the instance of a 6 month tenancy you would be obligated for the first 6 months and should you then wish to vacate the property, you would need to give one month’s notice in writing, ending no sooner than the initial 6 months. If the Landlord requires possession of the property, they would have to provide you with 2 months’ notice, again not expiring sooner than the initial 6 months.

Should you decide to stay beyond the initial 6 months, this is perfectly acceptable without the requirement to sign another contract. This is known as a ‘Statutory Periodic Tenancy’ and runs on a month-by-month basis on the same terms and conditions.

Who do I speak to once I have moved in, if I have a problem or question?

Most of the properties that we advertise are managed by CWB Property and therefore you would call us should you have any maintenance or management queries. Our telephone lines are open 24 hours a day and our offices are open from 08:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday and 09:00 to 17:00 on Saturdays. However, should your new home be managed by the Landlord, CWB Property will provide you with the contact details of your Landlord, along with their bank details.

Are there any further administration fees payable during my tenancy?

As standard there are no further administration fees payable before during or after your tenancy. Some fees may be applicable should you wish to make any alterations to your tenancy after it has begun. Please ask us for a full breakdown.

Can you give me a breakdown of what it is going to cost me to move in?

Should you be interested in moving into one of our homes, we will send you an email with a complete breakdown of exactly how much it is going to cost you to move in. An example of this is shown below:

Amount to pay upon application:£75
Rent due on move in day:£750
Total to pay on the day you move in£2250


  • 1. Our friendly local staff will do everything possible to assist you in finding the right property. We will be pleased to help you complete your referencing, guide you with searching for the right property and explain how the whole process works in as much detail as you need
  • 2. We are licensed members of both The Property Ombudsman and the Deposit Protection Service, so you can rest assured knowing that the property you rent through CWB Property will be safe and secure, as well as your deposit being securely protected
  • 3. We are owned by Landlords with over 30 years combined experience in helping people to create their perfect homes